One of my biggest problems is night eating. We are watching TV or doing something that is relaxing and all I want is popcorn, ice cream, candy, chips, etc. Last night was no different. This is how I now navigate it:
- Don’t have the stuff in the house.
- This is a big one. I don’t have chips, ice cream, etc. in my house because I know what will happen. I will eat them, all, in one sitting. It’s a lot easier to not have it in the house because you have to make the effort to go out and get something. I know for me, that when it means getting up, putting on shoes (and let’s be honest, a bra) and driving somewhere, I can usually talk myself out of it. Now, if Jason wants to go, that’s a different story.
- Track it before you Snack it.
- If I desperately want something I look it up in the tracker and decide if it’s worth the points. Now if I have no daily points left over, I weigh that in as well. I don’t like just using Weekly Points or Activity points on unplanned things because that is a slippery slope to go down. So if I have the points and I really want it, I’ll get it.
- Are you Thirsty?
- A lot of the time I am just thirsty and not hungry. It’s hard to tell this since I am constantly craving sweets, but alas, most of the time a big glass of water does the trick. Also, take a bit of a walk. I went for a walk during work yesterday and it completely fixed my craving. I just wanted to get up from my desk, not eat a candy bar.
- Find humor In All things
- Exercise is Important
- You need to move. I don’t care what you do. You could do Yoga on a treadmill while punch a bag (I don’t suggest this, but you get the point) as long as you are moving. Yes you can lose weight by just changing your eating habits, but exercise is good not only for the body, but the soul. Sweating is therapy. Being sore is working through things. The elation afterward is your reward. Do I like exercising? When I’m done, I do. I like the idea of running, but when I am running I hate life.
- ….but eating is importanter
- Yes I know that is not a word. You can’t out-train a bad diet. You can’t eat crap and then workout and expect to lose weight. AT BEST you will maintain (Hello, I’m this person over the last year). You have to do things in moderation. If you don’t follow Weight Watchers, use your own program. BUT FOLLOW IT. this doesn’t mean you can’t indulge. You just can indulge 100% of the time.
These are some of my “breakthroughs” over the past week – something that has been building over the past years of trying to lose weight, only now, I’m actually listening.