Yesterday the Husband and I awoke early (5:30 am) to get me to the start line of the Reston 10 Miler on time. This was my first 10 mile race. I have of course run longer distances, but never had a stopping point at 10 miles, so I was excited to see how I would do.
We left our house around 6:50 and drove through zero traffic (something that rarely happens, even on Sunday mornings) to Reston, at South Lakes High School, to begin the race! I was meeting Anna, a LTE boardie, for the first time as she was coming up from Charlottesville, VA to run the race as well. I decided on the way over that because my Half Marathon (or rather my more important race) was coming up in two weeks, I would run with her at her pace (slightly slower than mine) and take breaks as needed. She told me that she runs 1.5 miles and then walks for 90 seconds, and that usually corresponds to the water stops. After mile 4.5 I realized this is what I should be doing for all of my runs. My body responded SO WELL to this method that I think I found my sweet spot.
The miles went by quickly and I really enjoyed myself. At the end of the race I was really just wanting it to be done, so I sprinted ahead around the track finishing in 1:53:47.
Great Race – Great Fun. REALLY COLD and windy. Can’t wait for my Half Marathon now!
Menu for the Week:
- Monday: Turkey Tacos
- Tuesday: Spaghetti Squash with Turkey and Meat sauce
- Wednesday: “Fried” chicken with Oven Fries
- Thursday: School night / Fend for yourself
- Friday: Homemade Pizza
- Saturday: Dinner out with Kim and Edwin
- Sunday: Gnocchi (Attempt 2 – potatoes did not cooperate last night)
Workouts for the Week:
- Monday: REST
- Tuesday: 3.1 miles & Arms
- Wednesday: 3.1 miles & core
- Thursday: REST
- Friday: 40 minute tempo run
- Saturday: 6-8 Miles (Haven’t decided)
- Sunday: 2 Miles & Full body Strength
I will be giving on lucky – continental US Only – Reader a box of healthy snacks that I adore and the book Working Out Sucks!
- Kind Bars
- Dried Fruit
Here is what you have to do:
- Like “Life’s Little Epiphanies” on Facebook
- Follow me on Twitter: @bebegetswordy & tweet the following:
- I wanna win BeBe’s Snack and Book Giveaway! @Bebegetswordy #Allofmywords
- Leave a comment on the blog telling me about your exercise escapades and what you love to do to be active!
You can do all three – but make sure you leave a comment for each action as that is how I will be randomly selecting the winner.
I’ll be selecting the winner this Friday – 3/8/2013 SO ENTER SOON!